Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Good ole southern cookin'

I have not been able to go home in awhile and I am getting a little home sick. So what better to cheer me up than a good southern meal like Mama makes :)

Today's menu will consist of: buttermilk fried chicken, loaded mashed potatoes, squash casserole and cornbread. YUMMY!!!! All of the serving sizes below will feed a family of four.


Buttermilk Chicken:
4 chicken breasts
Canola oil (enough to half way fill a large skillet)
2 cups of buttermilk
2 cups of all purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste

First of all, I use chicken breasts rather than a whole chicken for two reasons 1: I like white meat better and 2: it's so much easier! Wash the chicken and cut off any excess fat. Then season the chicken to taste with salt and pepper. I usually go a little heavy on the pepper because I like a lot of flavor. Don't forget to turn your grease on about medium. Pour the buttermilk into a flat container. I use a tupperware container. Dip the chicken breasts into the buttermilk. Be sure to coat the whole breast. Now take the chicken and dip it in the flour (which is also in a flat container, again I use a tupperware container). Be sure to coat it really well, the more flour the crunchier the chicken. Test the grease to be sure it is hot, just sprinkle a few drops of flour into the hot grease it them begin to sizzle the grease is hot enough. Place the chicken in the pan. They will need to cook 5-8 minutes on each side depending on there thickness. They will be pretty and brown when they are ready.

Loaded Mashed Potatoes:
10 red potatoes
1/2 cups of milk
2 cups of shredded cheese
1 160z. sour cream
1 package of real bacon pieces

Wash and scrub the potatoes and then peel the skins off. I personally don't mind the skins, they are tasty and full of vitamins. However, my boyfriend will not touch mashed potatoes with skins in them so I usually peel them completely. Cut the potatoes into chunks. Keep in mind the smaller the chunk the quicker it will be done. I boil the potatoes on high for 15 to 20 minutes. Stick a fork in them to make sure they are soft. Next, drain the water off the potatoes and put them in a crock pot. Mash the potatoes. Then add the sour cream and milk and mix thoroughly. Next add in the 2 cups of shredded cheese and bacon pieces. I use real bacon pieces because I do not like the taste of bacon bits or imitation bacon. Stir up the cheese and bacon well. Turn the crock pot on low and leave it for 10 minutes or so. Then you will have loaded mashed potatoes that melt in your mouth!


Squash Casserole:
6 yellow squash (may need more if the squash are small)
1 large vidaila onion
two cans of cream of mushroom soup
2 cups of shredded cheese
1/2 box of cheese its

Start by washing the squash and then slice it. Then take the onion and cut it into pieces. They do not have to be small pieces about an inch long or so. Bring the water in a large pot to boil and put in squash and onion. Boil on medium for 30 minutes or until squash is tender with a fork. Next, drain the squash and onion. Grease a 11 X 8 casserole dish. I use pam. In a large mixing boil mix the squash and onions with the two cans of soup and 1 cup of shredded cheese. After mixed thoroughly, put in the 11 X 8 pan. Crush up the cheese its and place on the top, covering the dish entirely. Bake for 15 minutes on 350 and then sprinkle the other cup of shredded cheese on top and allow it to bake for another five minutes.

Growing up my Mama very rarely made home cornbread. She usually mad jiffy cornbread out of the box. Which I do love! But today I decide to venture out and make homemade cornbread. I relied on a recipe from cooks.com. The link is below the recipe.


Southern Homemade Cornbread

1/2 cup sifted enriched flour
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. corn meal
2 eggs1 c. milk
1 stick butter

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. stir in corn meal; add eggs and milk. Melt butter in skillet and swish around in the skillet to grease well. Pour butter into mixture; mix well. Pour mixture back into skillet. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,164,159177-255198,00.html
This is the first time I used this recipe but it turned out very tasty!!

I usually start by putting the potatoes and squash on to boil. And then season and flour the chicken while the grease is getting hot. I then fry the chicken. While the last pieces of chicken are frying I put the potatoes in the crock pot and and place the squash casserole in the oven. Then I make the cornbread last. No one likes cold cornbread!

As you know I am a big fan of desserts but after eating this meal believe me there is no room for dessert. You will be stuffed to the gills and ready for a nap!

Happy Cookin!!

No comments: