Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tailgating food!!!

The Georgia vs. Florida game is one of the oldest rivalries of the South. And is just like all Georgia games tailgating is big in Jacksonville. I prepared the following three things for our tailgate in Jacksonville this past weekend. The jalepeno poppers were eaten within 10 minutes of uncovering the tin foil, no joke! Three different people got my recipe :) I was going to take pictures and post them but I completly forgot!



I am going to share some of my favorite and easy tailgating foods. I say easy because you know I am the queen of easy and fast preparations!!



Turkey or Ham meat roll ups

1 package of soft taco shells

1 package of sandwich meat (turkey or ham)

2 8 oz. containers of whipped cream cheese





First allow the cream cheese to soften. Again you can use my trick of putting it in the window seal. Also, I again use whipped cream cheese because it has that smoother texture and is easier to spread. Now I suggested turkey or ham. I usually by a package of both roasted turkey and honey ham. They both are delicious! But of course if you decide to do both you will need to pick up two packages of the taco shells and two containers of cream cheese. Layout the taco shell and spread it completely with cream cheese. Do not leave any space without cream cheese. I use a spoon to spread it, but remember it will work best if the cream cheese is good and soft. Now take the meat and cover the entire shell. Some pieces will overlap but that is perfectly fine, just make sure the entire thing is covered in meat. Now wrap the shell up like a Mexican soft taco or chicken wrap is wrapped. Now place in tin foil and put in the refrigerator. Leave over night. I usually make these the afternoon before I will need them ad leave them in the refrigerator until about ten minutes before I serve them. The next day remove the tin foil and cut the roll into sections about a inch thick. Serve them on the platter where the inside detail shows. They make for a beautiful display and are very yummy! Just e sure to label them in your refrigerator as do not eat because my Dad unwrapped two of them once and ate them as a snack. :) He told my Mom he thought they were for snacking. He had no idea they were for a baby shower that afternoon. haha





Piggies in a blanket



1 package of little smokies

1 can of crescent rolls





Unwrap the can of crescent rolls and cut into pieces about a 1/2 inch think and three inches long. Take the one little smokie and wrap it up in the dough. It is perfectly ok for the dough to overlap. Bake at 375 degrees for 11-12 minutes or until the dough is golden brown. These are an all time favorite of mine. My grandmother made them for me as a kid all the time. They are super easy and always a big hit.



Now I know I said easy recipes but the next one will take a little more work, but I promise they are a personal favorite of mine and always devoured.





Jalapeno Poppers



1 lb. of bacon

1 8 oz. of whipped cream cheese

10 or 12 medium size jalapeno peppers

plastic gloves





Start by taking the bacon and cutting it about 3/4 the way down. Put plastic gloves on because you never know ow your skin will react to jalapeno poppers. My Mom does not have a reaction, but my hands burn and tingle for days if I do not use gloves when I make these. So save yourself the trouble and buy some cheap plastic throw away gloves! Wash the jalapeno thoroughly. Cut the stems off the ends. Slice the peppers in half long ways. Take the seeds and stems in the peppers out. I take everything out of the pepper and just have the shell. However, I have a small bowl to the side were I save about half of the seeds. Next, stuff the peppers with the cream cheese. I usually take about half of the peppers and put seeds in with the cream cheese. But be sure you remember which one are hot and which ones are not, some people do not like spicy stuff at all. After stuffing all the peppers wrap each with a piece of bacon. Again, is is perfectly ok for the bacon to overlap. Matter of fact, it works best to stuff the end piece under the jalapeno so it does not pop open while in the oven. Bake on a greased pan at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the bacon is fully cooked. Everyone will love these! Even my picky boyfriend who does not like jalapenos like the ones without seeds!!





I hope you use these recipes at your next tailgate or party!

Happy tailgating and happy cookin' ! ;)



No comments: