Monday, October 6, 2008

Dirt Cake


My boyfriend's birthday is coming up soon, and I am going to make him his favorite dessert. It is Oreo Dirt Cake. I know that a dirt cake is not typically what we think of when we think "birthday cake." But I like to think it is a not-traditional birthday cake for a non-traditional guy :)


Plus, it is his favorite so will be happy!!



I have tried several recipes for dirt cake, but I have found the easiest one is actually the tastiest.



Ingredients:
14 oz. pkg. of Oreo Cookies
8 oz. cream cheese (as we say down South a brick of cream cheese)
2 French vanilla instant pudding
12 oz. creamy cool whip
1 cup of powdered sugar
3 cups of milk
Directions:
Crush Oreo's. Mix cool whip, cream cheese, and powdered sugar in a bowl. Mix pudding and three cups of milk in another bowl. After the pudding and milk is mixed good pour it into the cool whip mixture bowl. Mix thoroughly. Line bottom of pan or container with Oreo’s, then pour the white mixture on top. Continue to layer and finish with Oreo’s on top.





I have found that regular Oreo's work the best. I have used double stuffed before, but I find they are to sweet for this dish. For this occasion since it will just be Timmy and I sitting at home, I will use a deep dish Glad Ware plastic container. I think the measurements are 10 X 5. With this container I usually have three layers of Oreo's and two of the white mixture. I like placing this dish in this container because it comes with a lid and stores easily in the fridge. It's just super convenient and you don't have to worry with tin foil or saran wrap.




This is a great dish to have a showers, birthday parties, and Halloween. If you are going to be entertaining your guests will probably rather not see Glad Ware container lol.




To spice up the dirt cake you can place it in a plastic beach bucket and serve it with a plastic shovel. You can also top it off with placing gummy worms in the bucket too. I would only place the worms on top not throughout the dish because they tend to get soggy in the white mixture. I have also found the worms get soggy on top if they are placed to far in advance. Just put them on top 15 or 20 minutes before serving.





Another cool way to serve dirt cake is in a flower pot. Just be sure to line the pot with tin foil before using. Place fake flowers in it and top with worms again.






Prepared in the beach bucket and flower pot are both big hits at family reunions, lawn and garden showers, and beach themed birthday parties.




After researching I found that lots of Mom's are putting the dirt cakes in the bed of a Tonka dump truck for little boys birthdays. What a cute idea!




There are people out there that are much more creative than me. I stumbled upon the cutest Halloween graveyard dirt cake at http://fashiontribes.typepad.com/main/2005/10/a_graveyard_cak.html


They used a completely different dirt cake recipe, but it would be easy to use my recipe and their decoration ideas!



There are so many cute ways to decorate a dirt cake. Another great way would be take a dirt cake to a 50, 60, or 70 birthday party. You could place it in the sand pail and write old as dirt.


Dirt cakes are so yummy and so easy to make! Whatever your occasion I hope you enjoy!


Happy Cookin ;)

No comments: